Re: network monitoring

On Sun, Oct 31, 2004 at 02:17:35PM +0100, martin f krafft wrote:
> > Nagios mainly uses SNMP to pull its data - authenitcated but not
> > encrypted. Big Sister - Have heard its similar to big brother
> > - simple to set up (compared to nagios) and for your small network
> > should be more than adequate. Big Brother (and probably big
> > sister) have client software that runs on each machine that sends
> > the status info back to the display server.
>
> Yeah, but I want a pulll approach, not a push approach!

take a look at mon.  it's a framework for monitoring systems and sending
alerts via email, sms, or whatever.

it comes with many scripts to test availability of common services (like
smtp, ftp, http, etc), and can test pretty much anything as long as you
can write a script to do the test.

Package: mon
Section: admin
Installed-Size: 800
Maintainer: Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org>
Architecture: i386
Version: 0.99.2-7
Depends: perl, libmon-perl (>= 0.10), libtime-period-perl, libtime-hires-perl, libc6 (>= 2.3.2.ds1-4)
Suggests: fping, libauthen-pam-perl, libfilesys-diskspace-perl, libnet-perl, libnet-dns-perl, libnet-ldap-perl, libnet-telnet-perl, libsnmp-perl, libstatistics-descriptive-perl
Filename: pool/main/m/mon/mon_0.99.2-7_i386.deb
Size: 177160
MD5sum: 35d62495d9befa374227ffae9a9e3b91
 "mon" is a tool for monitoring the availability of services.  Services
 may be network-related, environmental conditions, or anything that can
 be tested with software.  If a service is unavailable mon can tell you
 with syslog, email, your pager or a script of your choice.  You can
 control who gets each alert based on the time of day or day of week,
 and you can control how often an existing problem is re-alerted.
 .
 More information can be found at http://www.kernel.org/software/mon/.

craig

--