Re: network monitoring

Greetings!

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 14:17:35 +0100 martin f krafft <madduck@debian.org>
wrote:
> also sprach Andrew Miehs <andrew@2sheds.de> [2004.10.31.0907 +0100]:
> > On the one hand, you are happy to install via nfs, but on the
> > other hand, you want monitoring done via 'ssh'?
>
> Well, I agree that NFS is somewhat of a kludge. However, I want SSH
> to contact the servers to execute commands to prevent that someone
> else just executes them without authenticating.

So I'd like to suggest you should have a look at the MoSSHe tool
http://www.wyae.de/software/mosshe/

It does monitoring via SSH (key auth) while *NOT* allowing execution of
arbitrary commands.

The whole system is just consisting of shell scripts and one simple
central config file plus simple agents on the servers for in-depth
monitoring (load, memory, ...). So it's fast to implement and light on
system ressources. Plus you won't need additional IPSec or whatever
config on your systems...

Bye

Volker Tanger
ITK Security