Re: additional dns search spaces

On Fri, Oct 29, 2004 at 10:38:39AM +0200, martin f krafft wrote:
> In /etc/resolv.conf, the search parameter can take multiple values.
> However, when using DHCP, this field is populated by 'option
> domain-name', which lists the domain name only, and must not do
> anything else, or headless clients won't work anymore. The same
> happens with changing domain-name in /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf.
>
> My question is how to add additional domain names to search when
> using dhcp in the smartest possible way.

Most DHCP clients allow you to override configuration sent by the DHCP
server. I am using this on my home LAN server in /etc/dhclient.conf:

supersede domain-name "grep.be debian.org";
prepend domain-name-servers 127.0.0.1;

which results in a resolv.conf like this:

search grep.be debian.org
nameserver 127.0.0.1
nameserver <first nameserver provided by my ISP>
nameserver <second nameserver provided by my ISP>

I'm doing something similar on rock, my workstation, but I'm not using
dhclient there. However, I seem to be unable to find out how, exactly, I
configured it there -- and it's been a few years since I did this.

--
         EARTH
     smog  |   bricks