Debian file server to WinXP clients

Ok, I've hit a road block here. I'm trying to find the best way to serve up 3 to 12 gig files to an office network of Win XP machines. We have everything on a Gig E network but I can't seem to find a good file serving solution.

Tried the windows server but had major fragmentation problems and a hard time keeping up with the problem. Switched to linux but Samba's performance seems to be sub par.
(Maybe 5-10 meg/sec transfer rate)

I know a lot of this may depend on the file system and hardware being used but what networked file systems has returned good through put on multi OS networks?

Thanks for any help.
Chris G.