Re: Mail Delivery (failure jcooper@planetz.com)

On Saturday 23 October 2004 16:29, John Cooper wrote:

> Clearly I've touched a nerve with Mr. Coker!  The virtiolic nature of his
> response here, and the public posting of my private email address which I
> was trying to protect, is simply inane and immature.    Next time, Mr.

You are sending unsolicited emails in response to every single email that is
sent to your old address.  You are wasting the resources of potentially
thousands of people.

Spam does not justify spam.  I have come to this realization myself only
recently (I am, unfortunately still, a TMDA user).  I can understand that
many people see autoresponders as essential but due care should be taken to
not respond to innocent third parties and mailing lists especially.

The fact that you sent your new email in the body as "johnc at planetz.com"
instead of as a real email address is, I suspect, immaterial.  Spammers send
to millions of invalid email addresses, they scan all webpages, list
archives, etc. and look for anything that looks like a valid email
address ... IMO x at y is just as easy to find and parse as x@y.  They will
be finding you anyway.

The smarter way to let people know that your email address has changed is by
rejecting the message.  You can reject the message (in postfix) by using the
relocated table, that will reject the message giving the error "User has
moved to johnc at planetz.com" (or whatever you'd like the message to say).
In this way very few innocent third parties should be subjected to your spam.

> Coker, consider a private email, before publically hanging someone.

When someone does something stupid there is value in making sure that everyone
knows that it is stupid.  Knowledge is only advanced when it is shared.

--
Fraser Campbell <fraser@wehave.net>                 http://www.wehave.net/