Re: status of VLAN support in Debian/Linux in general

in general, something works with most of the switches that "have vlans", but if you do not mix the different brands;)
(no, in fact they aren't standartized in real life.)

check before you buy, if it is possible.
if not - buy one-vendor-only

...and check at least google to see if someone managed to kick your supposed configuration working;)))))))) (_i am NOT joking_)

otherwise, you may run into quite big troubles.

wwell edi

Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder wrote:
Hi,

I've some questions regarding VLAN support in Debian and in Linux. First: is <http://www.candelatech.com/~greear/vlan.html> still the main page? Google makes me think so, but there are some references to 2.2 kernels and none to 2.6 kernels, so I'm a bit unsure.

2.6 kernels: are they ready in general? The kernel.org and/or the debian kernels? kernel-patch-vlan is only in woody, so I guess recent 2.4 kernels don't need patches.

Which ethernet cards are working? I'm interested in both fast ethernet and gigabit ethernet.

VLAN is an IEEE standard - is it a real standard, or is it a 'it may work with some switches and not work with others'? (The simple format of the VLAN tag in the ethernet header makes me hope for the former...)

Debian: Ok, I see there's the package 'vlan', so I guess it contains all I need.

(Yes, some of the questions could be solved by experimenting - however, I don't have a VLAN capable switch yet. In fact, all I have is a 5 port 10M hub, an a couple of Realtek 10M network cards. Go figure...)

greetings
-- vbi