status of VLAN support in Debian/Linux in general

Hi,

I've some questions regarding VLAN support in Debian and in Linux. First: is
<http://www.candelatech.com/~greear/vlan.html> still the main page? Google
makes me think so, but there are some references to 2.2 kernels and none to
2.6 kernels, so I'm a bit unsure.

2.6 kernels: are they ready in general? The kernel.org and/or the debian
kernels? kernel-patch-vlan is only in woody, so I guess recent 2.4 kernels
don't need patches.

Which ethernet cards are working? I'm interested in both fast ethernet and
gigabit ethernet.

VLAN is an IEEE standard - is it a real standard, or is it a 'it may work
with some switches and not work with others'? (The simple format of the
VLAN tag in the ethernet header makes me hope for the former...)

Debian: Ok, I see there's the package 'vlan', so I guess it contains all I
need.

(Yes, some of the questions could be solved by experimenting - however, I
don't have a VLAN capable switch yet. In fact, all I have is a 5 port 10M
hub, an a couple of Realtek 10M network cards. Go figure...)

greetings
-- vbi

--
pub  1024D/92082481 2002-02-22 Adrian von Bidder <avbidder@fortytwo.ch>
   Key fingerprint = EFE3 96F4 18F5 8D65 8494  28FC 1438 5168 9208 2481