Re: Boot on "RAID 1" with "LILO" and "mdadm"

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 18:17:56 +0200, maarten MAIIIIEEELED!!! in
message <200409081817.56621.maarten@ultratux.net>:

> On Wednesday 08 September 2004 05:11, Arnt Karlsen wrote:
> > On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 15:33:13 -0300, Agustín wrote in message
> > <[🔎] 020b01c49509$23436480$6800a8c0@Agus>:
>

> > > Could you send me your lilo.conf configuration to compare it with
> > > mine?
> >
> > ..hah!  It went out my door years ago, I use Grub now, easier to set
> > up and much more forgiving IME.  I also remember discussing this on
> > D-U and Usenet, google for my email address and $query to see my
> > angle on whatever.
> > http://braindamage.alal.com/archives/debian-user/20030827/0532.html
> >
> > ..or JRTFU http://rootraiddoc.alioth.debian.org/
>
> Hi Arnt,
>
> I really struggled with Grub, it seems the docs and I cannot get along
> at all; I can't seem to get it working... not manually, at least.
> Let's assume there is a working Grub installation on disk, and the
> menu.lst is fine.  However, the bootsector has been overwritten since
> (or never written yet, or damaged, in any case: not functioning
> anymore). How do you now persuade Grub to rewrite itself to the
> bootsector ?
>
> I tried the commands (within the grub shell)
> 	root (hd0,0)
> 	setup (hd0)

..this means you got grub onto the MBR.  ll /boot/grub &&\
cat /boot/grub/grub.conf or boot/grub/menu.lst

..with grub, you want 'root (md0)' for /dev/md0.

> but it baffles me what step to take next (because these two don't seem
> to do anything).  If I then type 'configfile /boot/grub/menu.lst' I
> get the usual boot screen, but what then ?  Whatever I do, I fall back
> to the bash shell prompt and nothing's been changed (apparently, since
> the drive is still unbootable).  How do I tell grub to apply the
> settings that are in menu.lst and write itself to the boot(root)sector
> ?

..play with this:
#!/bin/sh
/bin/cp -f /usr/share/grub/i386-pc/* /boot/grub
/usr/sbin/grub --batch <<EOT > /dev/null 2> /dev/null
# device (hd0) /dev/hda
# device (hd1) /dev/hdc
device (md0) /dev/md0
root (md0,0)
# setup (hd0) #installs onto /dev/hda
# setup (hd2) #installs onto /dev/hdc
setup (md0) #installs onto /dev/md0
quit
EOT

> Any pointers greatly appreciated...!
> (well, except for 'RTFM'; I did that twice and it didn't help me
> any...)
>
> Maarten

..assuming you meant to post on d-isp, I answer there.
The alternative is pay up for my time.  ;-)

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: