Re: LILO & Software RAID1 boot= & raid-boot-extra

On Tue, 3 Aug 2004 13:43:37 +1000, Clayton wrote in message
<[🔎] 20040803034337.GA1066@russell.id.au>:

> Hi,
> I am currently looking into a problem I have with LILO & Software
> RAID. When upgrading a kernel, with boot=/dev/md0 in lilo.conf,
> running lilo succeeds, but reboot fails with LI 40 40 type errors.

..this is a stock Woody?   Grub?  Or backports.org?
(If still down, try uk.backports.org.)

..I got into the same mess on my first Debian box, /dev/md0 worked fine
with RH9 on the same box, but this happened to be pre-Fedora time.

..the box can boot off all raid disks from bios? /dev/hda+/dev/hdb etc
will do fine, except for the wee need of another lilo run fix on the
2'nd disk, to avoid that, use grub.

> The workaround I have used for this in the past is to change boot= to
> /dev/hda, then run lilo, then change to /dev/hdb then run lilo and all
> is fine. I realise that this is because when it is set to /dev/md0 it
> inserts the boot code into the md0 partiition (hda1 + hdb1) and not
> the drive(s) mbr(s). I have found 1 reference on the web to a lilo
> option raid-boot-extra which looks like exactly what I want to fix my
> problem.  i.e. raid-boot-extra=/dev/hda,/dev/hdb. The only thing is
> when I insert this into lilo.conf and run lilo it doesn't like this
> entry.  Does anybody know if this option is actually real and if so
> which versions of lilo support it?  If not has anybody dealt with this
> in another way which they could share?

..I used grub, see above.

> Thanks,
> Clayton