Re: FW: Woody and HP DL320G2

Am Di, den 03.08.2004 schrieb IT-at-Challenge um 7:56:

> I am preparing to buy a new HP server, a HP DL320G2, and would like to
> install Woody onto it.
>
> The questions I have relate to the:
> - On-board NICs, given on the HP site as "Two NC7760 PCI Gigabit Server
> Adapters (embedded)"
> - the ATA RAID controller, given as "Integrated Dual Channel Ultra ATA/100
> Adapter with Integrated ATA RAID 0, 1"
> - video, given as "Integrated ATI RAGE XL Video Controller with 8-MB SDRAM
> Video Memory"
>
> Will woody with the standard bf2.4 kernel detect the NIC's and RAID
> controller?

No. The onboard NICs will probably not work with bf24 as they are afaik
based on the bcm57xx chipset which is supported starting from 2.4.19 -
Woody bf24 is 2.4.18. But this is not a real problem...

The ATARAID may or may not work - I have no idea which chipset they are
currently using. Can anyone shed some light on this?
As I'm currently building a website about running Debian on ProLiant
this information would be really appreciated...

> Will I need to compile my own kernel to do this?

You can, but won't have to - at least for the NIC part.
Just download the drivers from Broadcom and compile them against
2.4.18-bf24 and load them during setup (preload modules from floppy).
Or got to my website, grab the modules I've prepared for Woody:
http://people.iirc.at/moswald/linux/bf24_modules/bcm5700/

> Or, should I try to use Sarge?

Sarge will probably work out of the box. At least the last time I tried
I could install a DL140 without any problems...

best regards,
  Markus
--
Markus Oswald <moswald@iirc.at>  \ Unix and Network Administration
Graz, AUSTRIA                     \ High Availability / Cluster