MySQL with temporary high load on shared server

Hi folks,

does anybody have with MySQL running on a shared server, which gets temporary
high load? My problem is that a friend uses an online-shop on a shared-sytem.
No problem with that - but when he uses update-scripts to upload his
products/prices/... from scratch the system almost goes down due to heavy load.
There are about 10.000 products in the DB - not *so* much I always thought.
System performance degrades for other services (mail, ftp, ...) as well as
other users trying to access their databases.

Has anybody got an idea? Please let me know urgently!

Kind regards,
 Stefan Neufeind