Re: Configuring Wireless ISP

You've got mismatched subnets. It might work with some hacking, but you're better off designing it correctly.

Does the Linux box route? If not, you'll need to have a common subnet at least from the Cisco router to Radio1, and you should insert a hub or switch to tie together the data path from the Cisco router to Radio1.

Do the radios route, or are they just L2 bridges? If they are just bridges, you'll need to have a common subnet from Client Box to at least the Linux Box, and possibly all the way to the Cisco Router if the Linux box doesn't route. If they route, they'll need two IP addresses, one for each subnet.

Basically, anywhere you have a L3 device (i.e. router or multihomed device with routing capabilities enabled) you'll need to separate your subnets.

Also, don't use the term "class C".  It's old and out of date.

Djalma Fadel Junior wrote:

hello everybody,

FIRSTLY:
^^^^^^^^
I'm not sure if this is the right list for my problem, so any suggestion of Discussion List would be welcome.

THE STRUCTURE:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

         SERVER SIDE                       CLIENT SIDE
         ^^^^^^^^^^^                       ^^^^^^^^^^^
+-----------+   +--------+            +--------+   +------------+
| LINUX BOX |---| RADIO1 | )))    ((( | RADIO2 |---| CLIENT_BOX |
+-----------+   +--------+            +--------+   +------------+

+------------+
| CISCO ROUT |
+------------+

RADIO1: Proxim Tsunami MP11a BSU
RADIO2: Proxim Tsunami MP11a RSU

WHAT DO I HAVE?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I have a half Class-C network. I'll assume the network is 200.200.200.0/128.
In RADIO2 and CLIENT_BOX I'll put a valid IP, so the netmask should be 30.

SERVER SIDE
^^^^^^^^^^^
RADIO1 ADDR     = 200.200.200.10
NETMASK         = 200.200.200.128

CLIENT SIDE
^^^^^^^^^^^
NETWORK         = 200.200.200.124
BROADCAST       = 200.200.200.127
NETMASK         = 255.255.255.252
RADIO2 ADDR     = 200.200.200.125
CLIENT_BOX ADDR = 200.200.200.126

with this configuration, the CLIENT_BOX Gateway is the RADIO2 and the Gateway for RADIO2 is RADIO1. The problem is that RADIO1 cannot be seen by RADIO2, because it isn't in the same subnet.

QUESTIONS:

1. how to set up the gateway in this network hierarchy?

2. see that RADIO1 (netmask .128) sees all RADIOn (netmask .252). this can be done?

3. am I thinking right in the way I'm configuring client in a isolated subnet? or is there another better way?

4. LINUX BOX is DNS server and Radio Traffic Control with CBQ, so both ETH should have a valid IP in the same network. What should I do?

Sorry if I wasn't clear in my explanation in spite of long writing. :-)

thanks in advance
dfadel