Re: Which Spam Block List to use for a network?

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 18:41, Adam Funk <a24061@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 22 June 2004 09:11, Russell Coker wrote:
> > A user has no business making direct connections to mail servers.
>
> Maybe in your area you can get a residential ISP whose mailrouters are
> always reliable.  Where I live there is one cable modem provider with
> no competition; its mailrouters usually work but do not always warn you
> in good time that mail is queued.

So find someone else who can relay mail for you.  In the past when such things
have been discussed people have made offers of a free mail relay service for
Debian people.

> This is a smarter way to do it.  Wouldn't you admit that the problem is
> not from MTAs on dynamic IP addresses, but rather from infected Windows
> machines on dynamic IP addresses?

MTAs on dynamic addresses is an entirely different problem.  At one ISP I
worked for we had a problem of people installing mail servers on their PCs as
open relays.  It was decided not to block port 25 inbound, so I planned a
scheme where the outbound mail relay would attempt a port 25 connection to
the workstation before accepting mail from it.  If the port 25 connection
succeeded then the mail would be rejected...