Re: pop before smtp relay

On Thursday 17 June 2004 14:09, Dale E Martin wrote:
> Hello.  I run a small mailserver, and I'm interested in allowing my users
> to relay mail off of it.  I'm currently using exim4 as my MTA, and uw-imap
> for client mail access.  In the past I have used "exact"[0] to allow
> "pop-before-relay" access, and it has worked well.  I'm getting ready to
> move my mail server and I was looking and it appears that "exact" is not
> packaged for Debian, which makes me wonder what others are doing to achieve
> this functionality.  I'm also wondering if it's worth my effort to package
> exact...

Hi Dale,

The 'modern' way to approach this problem is to not use pop-before-smtp at
all, but instead to make use of ESMTP Authentication. In this scheme, a
user/password set are supplied in the SMTP conversation.

ESMTP Auth is supported by all major mail clients (yes, even Outlook Express 5
and 6...).

Cheers,
Gavin.