Re: Adjusting MTU

On Wed, May 12, 2004 at 02:40:10PM -0400, Ryan Tucker wrote:
> I'm trying to find the "Debian Way" to adjust the MTU on an interface...
> basically, we have a box behind a firewall which is blocking the ICMP Can't
> Fragment packets, and we're sending fairly large data packets through, and,
> well, the obvious problem occurs.  They can put a little firewall on the LAN
> which has an MTU adjustment (and sends the packets back), which fixes the
> problem nicely, but that's kinda a hack.

the correct solution is to throw out the broken firewall and replace it
with something that wasn't made by brain-damaged cretins.

if you need some "proof" to get management to throw away the firewall that they
"wisely" decided to waste lots of money on, then see the "Blocking ICMP"
section of the Common ISP Mistakes document:

http://www.freelabs.com/~whitis/isp_mistakes.html

this document is fairly old now but is still very relevant - it should be
required reading for all ISP tech and management staff.

See also "Broken PMTU causes slow networks":

http://www.burgettsys.com/stories/56239/

and "PMTU Discovery":

http://www.netheaven.com/pmtu.html

craig

--
craig sanders <cas@taz.net.au>

The next time you vote, remember that "Regime change begins at home"