Re: e-mail for multiple domains

This one time, at band camp, Rod Rodolico said:
> Ok, I've researched the exim stuff and I think I see how to do it via
> aliases, but I want to see if anyone has a better solution.
>
> We're really an IPP. We host several domains, with a few users for
> each. It is getting to the point where name conflict is an issue, ie I
> need joe@domain1 and joe@domain2 to be two separate users. I see how
> to set up Exim to make them resolve to separate users, ie joe@domain1
> could be resolved to joe1 and joe@domain2 could be resolved to joe2.
>
> However, I'd like to make it more seamless for the client. Seems like
> making them log in with joe1 and joe2 is more of a hassle than they
> need.

I think what you want is something like mail delivered to
/home/$domain/$user/Maildir/ ?  Exim can do that - somethin like this:
virtual_maildir_home:
  debug_print = "T: virtual_maildir_home for $local_part@$domain"
  driver = appendfile
  directory = /home/$domain/$local_part/Maildir
  delivery_date_add
  envelope_to_add
  return_path_add
  maildir_format
  mode = 0600
  mode_fail_narrower = false

I don't think that courier can handle the pop retrieval of that,
however.  I have heard that cyrus does a better job with these sort fo
things, so that may be something worth looking into.

> Is there another way of doing this? I currently have all my users as
> real users on the server, simply setting /bin/false for the shell on
> those who do not need to update their web sites.

LDAP would also be good, so that there is no tie between mail and loggin
in at all, but your way works - it's just that managing a large passwd
file is harder to do once you have to spread it out over several
machines.

|   ,''`.					     Stephen Gran |
|  : :' :					 sgran@debian.org |
|  `. `'			Debian user, admin, and developer |
|    `-					    http://www.debian.org |