Ext3, Apt-get and chrooted environments

Hi all,

I have recently discovered that my PXE install scripts are destroying my
ext3 file systems, due to me not unmounting the drive before rebooting.
The second part of my install chroots into /target and runs apt-get
dselect-upgrade. Unfortunately, I can not umount the new root disk
'/target' due to the fact that apt-get restart's sshd and ntp, etc. This
causes the files to be considered as open, and I would have to force an
Is there any way that I can tell apt-get NOT to start/ restart the
services and just install and configure them?