Re: RaiserFS via NFS

Am 2004-04-17 12:51:32, schrieb Dan MacNeil:

>I've just converted from mbox to maildir
>
>Right now there are some users with 500 files in a directory, I expect
>this go grow.
>
>I expect this figure to grow. RaiserFS is looking good.
>
>The benefits of running a central storage server and a bunch of seperate
>web/smtp/pop3/spamfiltering/ftp/ servers, one storage server running not
>much more than NFS all connected with a cheap Gigbit switch are also
>appealing to me.
>
>Is there any benefit to RaiserFS if I am accessing it via NFS ?

For NFS not. But RaiserFS is realy faster then ext2.

I am using ext3 and have in some Mailboxes (e.g. linux-kernel)
7-8000 Messages without any problems using a "3Com Superstack II
3900 Switch" where my NFS-Server is on a GBit Port.

But use a self-compiled Linux with nfs and nfsd compiled WITH
"TCP" and "v3" support.

if you mount your server add "nfsvers=3,tcp" to it otherwise it
will use UDP which is realy not good.

Greetings
Michelle

--