Re: mod_php vs fastcgi/php speed

Dnia Friday 19 of March 2004 14:32, Shri Shrikumar napisał:

> * How difficult is it to do? (est Man hours would be useful too)
I'm not familiar with apache internals, so I can't say but MPM's are written
in modular way so it does not need to rewrite whole apache. You would have to
fix/rewrite only one MPM module.

> * What are the benefits?
Joris replied about that, so I only add few things...

- from what I know no one from apache team is working on fixing perchild (no
idea why)
- some guy started writting new MPM working in similar way as perchild - it's
called metux MPM ( http://www.metux.de/mpm/en/?patpage=index,
http://www.sannes.org/metuxmpm/). Unfortunately this project seems to be dead
(or almost dead), too.
- with perchild you will have each virtual host running under UID/GID
specified in config file so you will have secure php, cgi, mod_perl,
mod_python, mod_whatever (currently there are ways to get php and cgi (and
only these) working under specified UID/GID).

Docs about perchild http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/perchild.html

Right now running apache and having multiple virtual hosts for multiple
clients is not secure. Each client can look into others *.php, *.inc files,
read for example database passwords from these files etc.

--
Arkadiusz Miśkiewicz     CS at FoE, Wroclaw University of Technology
arekm.pld-linux.org, 1024/3DB19BBD, JID: arekm.jabber.org, PLD/Linux