Re: SOP for debian isp/corporate server...

On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 09:55:37PM +0530, prasad wrote:
> As many of you must have experienced, there are usual SOPs for setting up
> non-bloated, secure bare-bones Servers with respective OSs eg for solaris.
>
> Is there SOP for debian, if not, I guess this list is better poised to
> produce one. Any links, pointers... I have googled, but didn't find any old
> message,

install just the base system (plus ssh if you are configuring it without a
console).  then use ONLY 'apt-get install' to install/upgrade only the packages
you need.  do not install anything that you do not need, or which is not
required by another package that you need.  purge any packages which you do not
need.

keep this up-to-date with the latest unstable if you want to keep months
ahead of script-kiddies, which beats playing the catch-up game.

this works for me, at least.  YMMV.

craig