RE: Considering Debian (currently using Red Hat)

1)

Package: cruft
Section: admin
Installed-Size: 636
Maintainer: Anthony Towns <ajt@debian.org>
Architecture: i386
Version: 0.9.6-0.4
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3.1-1), file
Filename: pool/main/c/cruft/cruft_0.9.6-0.4_i386.deb
Size: 26690
MD5sum: a1dfa3e1828f92cbf9e03223f498f07c
 cruft is a program to look over your system for anything that shouldn't
 be there, but is; or for anything that should be there, but isn't.
 .
 It bases most of its results on dpkg's database, as well as a list of
 `extra files' that can appear during the lifetime of various packages.
 .
 cruft is still in pre-release; your assistance in improving its accuracy
 and performance is appreciated.

I think that's what you want. Seems to work - just tried it.

2)

Debian is the biggest distribution, it has *more* packages than redhat. It
has almost 9000 packages in the main stable tree, I believe. Generally I
find that I can find any program I want. If it's not in debian it's not
worth having in a lot of cases! The exception to this is driver packages
which often come as rpm-only. Anything non-proprietary is usually debian
packaged, however.

3) Debian is not released in the same way as redhat, which seems to follow a
windows style of releases. Debian development is a continous stream. A
"release" is created by first taking a branch off the main development
stream (unstable), calling it testing and declaring a freeze on any new
packages or non security changes. After a while, that is released as the
next "stable" release. Stable in this case means version-stable, It doesn't
necessarily imply that newer development streams are more unreliable.

If you were to take your updates from the unstable tree, as I do, you would
never have install a upgrade, as your system would always be the latest.
Even if you dont, upgrading doesn't involve finding a cd and rebooting, a
apt-get dist-upgrade will do.

4) Stable like you say is updated fairly infrequently, however security
updates are released at the same time as for other releases/trees/streams. I
believe you can use the security updates no matter how old your initial
release of debian is.

5) There's the political differences, as you are aware, but i'd say the
biggest difference between debian and redhat is the absolute ease that you
can keep your whole system up to date and the efficiency of the packaging
system - dependency conflicts are rare on the unstable branch and unheard of
on the stable and testing branches. There's none of this nonsense about
"premium" updates support, special privileged ftp servers, etc. There is a
large network of mirrors, and they all work reliably and quickly.

6) If it was a choice between GNU/Linux'es, debian, if it was a more general
OS choice, it would depend on the task at hand.

Dan Ros