Re: Traffic Accounting

On Sun, Jul 20, 2003 at 08:02:07PM +0300, kgb wrote:
>On Sun, 2003-07-20 at 19:27, George Georgalis wrote:

>> >I have over 2000 rules "bgpeer tx/rx", "internet tx/rx", "local traffic tx/rx"
>> >machine is AMD Athlon XP 1700+ with 1G ram i forgot how many rules are
>> >limit in iptables but when they are so many this is really sucks this is
>> >on 100Mbit LAN the problem is when fetchipac is running and ipacsum because
>> >file in /var/lib/ipac-ng/data.db is over 5G when file i smaller traffic is smaller
>> >or fetchipac and ipacsum is not running everything is fine i think thats can not be
>> >the only one way...
>> >

>> I don't run it, I'm just a by stander; but I bet you are not dealing
>> with cpu issues but disk io. run top and compare system load to your cpu
>> state % idle time.
>>
>> If you've got idle cpu, and load over one, you are most likely dealing
>> with disk speed not cpu.... time for hardware scsi, striped raid, on 15k
>> rpm disks :-P unfortunatly that's a lot more difficult and expensive
>> than upgrading cpu and ram :-\
>>
>> // George
>>

>Yes, you're right but my question is, is there have other way to do accounting
>some bash, shell script to fetch traffic with "tc" command from cbq shaper ?

I don't really know that stuff... If you just want to log tcp/udp/icmp
ip use iptables:

iptables -N watchit
iptables -I watchit -s 10.1.0.0/24 -p tcp -m state --state NEW -j LOG --log-prefix '##_NEW_## '

and periodically do something like

tablestats () {
iptables -vnL >>${LOG}/iptablestats-${now}
iptables -t nat -vnL >>${LOG}/iptablestats-${now}
}

or you may need qdisc routing and logging, I don't know much about
that. My favorite setup is an ebtables bridging router/fw (has no ip
address), patched to send packets through the netfilter tables. :)
That and iptable stats should probably cover your needs.

Just found these, should help with qdisc:
http://lartc.org/howto/index.html
http://lartc.org/howto/lartc.qdisc.html
http://lartc.org/howto/lartc.bridging.html

These are the links I saved from 6 or 8 months back.

http://plorf.net/linux-ip/html/
Guide to IP Layer Network Administration with Linux

http://users.pandora.be/bart.de.schuymer/ebtables/
http://users.pandora.be/bart.de.schuymer/ebtables/sourcecode.html
Ebtables homepage
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Ethernet-Bridge-netfilter-HOWTO.html
Ethernet Bridge + netfilter Howto
http://www.sparkle-cc.co.uk/firewall/firewall.html
Implementing a Bridging Firewall By David Whitmarsh
http://www.compsci.lyon.edu/mcritch/dante/
Dante - Traffic control and QoS with Linux
http://lartc.org/
Linux Advanced Routing & Traffic Control
http://lartc.org/howto/lartc.bridging.html
Building bridges, and pseudo-bridges with Proxy ARP
http://bridge.sourceforge.net/docs.html
http://bridge.sourceforge.net/docs/Firewalling for Free.pdf
Firewalling for Free, by Shawn Grimes.
http://www.pom.gr/ilisepe1/firewall_help.html#5
Transparent Firewall Bridging
http://plorf.net/linux-ip/html/ether-bridging.htm
Address Resolution Protocol and Bridging
http://www.zebra.org/
routing software

Have fun. Let us know what you come up with. :)

// George

--
GEORGE GEORGALIS, System Admin/Architect    cell: 646-331-2027    <IXOYE><
Security Services, Web, Mail,            mailto:george@galis.org