Re: semi-remote net

Leonardo Boselli wrote:
I posted some weeks ago a question on "satellite network" ... i have not yet tested but i will do in next days, Now I have more information on the services required: not only a "satellite"network, but the expansion plans for our department calla also for a lab in an old building. This building, althought still in the campus is about 600 m far from the next nearest network-wired building. In this bulding will be put three workstations. In this case the problem is not to have them in the same network that of the other ones, being on a different subnet is not a problem, but rather the fact that in that building there are no teleccommunication connections. Getting an optical cable in not an option since within three years that building could be abandoned. I thought about two options: one is a laser connection (but the area is subject to fog) and the other using two wi-fi 2.4 GHz NIC, coupled to two dish antennas . Anyone here has experiences and suggestions on this setup ?
--

A couple of things I'd consider:

1) Are there existing conduits, tunnels, or the like running to the building that could be used to run fiber? The fiber itself wouldn't be overly expensive if there was a path to get there.

2) Are there existing copper cables to the building for providing phone service? If so, you may be able to do a home-grown DSL solution on the copper.

3) If all else fails the 2.4 GHz option will probably be the cheapest and easiest option. At 600 m, you might not even need dish antennas.

--Rich

Rich Puhek
ETN Systems Inc.
2125 1st Ave East