Re: gFTP problems?

On Sat, Jul 05, 2003 at 10:52:28PM +0000, Martin WHEELER wrote:
> Solutions suggested so far have been to turn off, or make completely
> transparent, any firewall between you and them (!!!); or to turn off
> passive ftp mode.  (makes no difference, incidentally)
>
> Symptoms under gFTP are: connection is made to the remote proFTPD 1.2.4
> server on port 21; password is requested; sent; and accepted; type is
> set to l; current directory is given as "/"; system goes into passive
> mode; gives message: "Receiving file names... ; then hangs until
> connection times out after printing message "Cannot create a data
> connection".
>
> Customers using Cuteftp report that turning off passive mode indeed
> fixes the problem for them; any clues as to what is going on under
> Linux?
> (Sarge, with kernel 2.4.19 -- and I'm not using any local proxy.)

Looks like the port 20 (ftp-data) is blocked somewhere. Ftp protocol
uses two ports, 21 for commands and 20 to send data. In passive mode,
when you make a request to the ftp server, it tries to open a conection
to your machine on port 20 to send data. If the port 20 is blocked, the
server times out trying to connect.

With passive mode turned off, it is your ftp client which actively tries
to establish a data connection, maybe through another port.

Take a look at your firewall settings in case it is you who is blocking
port 20, if not, it is your ISP.

Blu.