gFTP problems?

I'm having to deal with a totally unhelpful ISP here in the UK
(ProWebSpace -- personal opinion: avoid like the plague), who has just
done something to their customer servers, but can't/won't tell their
customers what.

The upshot is that customers can no longer access their accounts to ftp
web data up to the server, where such access was no problem previously.
(I've been using gFTP 2.0.13 for the last six months without any hiccups
at all).

Solutions suggested so far have been to turn off, or make completely
transparent, any firewall between you and them (!!!); or to turn off
passive ftp mode.  (makes no difference, incidentally)

Symptoms under gFTP are: connection is made to the remote proFTPD 1.2.4
server on port 21; password is requested; sent; and accepted; type is
set to l; current directory is given as "/"; system goes into passive
mode; gives message: "Receiving file names... ; then hangs until
connection times out after printing message "Cannot create a data
connection".

Customers using Cuteftp report that turning off passive mode indeed
fixes the problem for them; any clues as to what is going on under
Linux?
(Sarge, with kernel 2.4.19 -- and I'm not using any local proxy.)

Any help appreciated.
mwheeler@startext.co.uk                http://www.startext.co.uk/mwheeler/