Re: replace Qmail with Exim

On Thu, 2003-12-04 at 12:05, Paulo Ricardo wrote:
> Hi guys
>
> We have been using:

*snip*

We're using something very similar here.
qmail/sqwebmail/qmailadmin/vpopmail.

We have to be able to do

smtp, smtp auth, pop, imap at the very least.

> Question:
>
> What is the best tools to work w/ exim ?

I've been looking to replace the above qmail setup with exim/courier,
using a mysql backend DB. I considered postfix, but as postfix does home
directory lookups on complete email addresses instead of
localpart/domain part, and doesn't let you do free-form queries,
aliasing domains together looked like it wouldn't be possible without
some ugly hack.

I'm using http://mail.psknet.com/toaster/ as a starting point for now,
and adapting it to meet what I needs. There are some rough web based
front ends provided, written in php, but I think these would have to be
altered a bit to be useable. The SQL can be a bit complex, but that
keeps the database and the rest of the config much simpler and makes it
more flexible. You can configure courier to use the same database and
tables to find home directories (/home/vmail/domain.com/user/Maildir or
wherever) as exim.

> Preferly a solution w/ support : WebMail+https, all softwares w/LDAP

Exim can be configured to use LDAP backend, but I decided against that
as none of the schemas seemed to do quite what I wanted when it came to
replacing qmail/vpopmail.

> By the way , does anyone know a how-to, or someting else to guide us ???

The above url has a quite rough but fully featured system. A google for
"exim pop toaster" has quite a few links, and there are many pages on
doing similar things with postfix that can be adapted/expanded.

As far as I know, there is no defacto howto/guide for this, however.

Regards,

Steven