Re: replace Qmail with Exim

On Thu, 2003-12-04 at 13:05, Paulo Ricardo wrote:
> What is the best tools to work w/ exim ?
> smtp...............exim

> anti-virus.........clamav
> spam...............spamassassin or ???
> scanner............??

I would recommend the exiscan-acl patch for Exim, which lets you run
content checks at smtp time. It has support for both clamav and
spamassassin.

http://duncanthrax.net/exiscan-acl/

> GUI................?????
> virtual domains....

Exim can look up almost any config value from a database, such as MySQL
or an LDAP server. This is very powerful and flexible, and lets you set
up virtual domain hosting the way *you* want it. When it comes to GUIs I
don't know, but since you can store almost anything in a database, it
shouldn't be too difficult to write a simple web frontend yourself.

You can have a look at vmail-sql, which really is just a basic exim
config with some perl scripts for administration. I would recommend you
just look at its README file for hints on how to set up virtual hosting
using MySQL, and then do your own thing based on it.

http://www.ex-parrot.com/~chris/vmail-sql/

> webmail............Horde+IMP

SquirrelMail is also nice, I've always thought IMP was a bit heavy.

> pop/imap...........courier or Cyrus ???

I use Courier IMAP myself. I don't really like how it is configured or
works, but I guess that's just a matter of taste. When it comes to
performance and reliability it seems to work very well. It also supports
at least MySQL lookups.

tpop3d is a really nice pop3 server, with support for
MySQL/PostgreSQL/LDAP account lookups, TLS/SSL, maildirs and much more.

http://www.ex-parrot.com/~chris/tpop3d/

--
Erik Grinaker
http://erikg.wired-networks.net

This signature has been rot13-encrypted twice, reading it is illegal
under the terms of the DMCA.