Re: replace Qmail with Exim

On Thu, 4 Dec 2003 23:24, Tinus Nijmeijers <mlists@deephosting.com> wrote:
> > pop/imap...........courier or Cyrus ???
>
> I'm curious about this one. I've been postponing installing one of these
> 'till someone with knowledge about both can give some info about the
> choice. Any other imap/pop servers that are an option?

Courier uses standard Maildir storage and has good options for authentication
by LDAP and other methods.

Cyrus uses it's own method of storing mail which makes it unreasonably
difficult to write scripts to manipulate mail that has been delivered.

This makes the decision very easy for me, I never consider Cyrus.

Someone is about to claim that Cyrus delivers huge performance.  I've run
250,000 users per mail store using Maildir format, Courier and Qmail, given a
choice I'd do it all the same apart from using Postfix instead of Qmail.  The
hardware was Dell 2U servers that had 4 U160 SCSI hard drives in a RAID-5 and
4G of RAM which cost about $US10K each.  That gave a cost of about $0.04 per
mail box at hardware prices of a year ago.

If I was setting up a new system now I would use umem cards for external
journals of journalled file systems with data-journalling and for the queue.

Doing this with one of the 5U Dell servers I expect that I could get decent
performance for at least 500,000 ISP mail boxes on a $16,000 system with
Maildir.

Of course these mail users wouldn't be the cable-modem users who mail .doc
files to each other all the time.  ;)