Re: spec-ing/dimensioning a server?

Dave Watkins said on Wed, Nov 26, 2003 at 06:38:39PM +1300:
> Mark Ferlatte wrote:
> >Which lists?  I've had a hell of a time with SCSI SCA connected disks; a
> >single bad SCSI disk can wipe out the whole chain, whereas with SATA that
> >seems to be less likely.  I'd be interested in hearing about SATA ickyness,
> >though; from what I've seen, it seems like a good thing.
> >

> SCA connected disks run through a backplane which should prevent this
> happening. I would have also suggested SCSI but it seemed price was an issue
> and this would have certainly been expensive when coupled with a RAID card

I can say from experience that this is not guaranteed.  I've had an SCA system
explode from inserting a faulty replacement disk just recently.  It sucked.

I am still curious to know of places where people talk about this sort of
thing; though.  At this point, SATA seems like the best option.

> >Not if you get a real server board; the newer Intel based ones have BIOS
> >access via the serial console.  :)
>
> Actually they also have BIOS access via LAN. :-)

Really?  Mine don't, but that doesn't suprise me.  How does it work?