Re: spec-ing/dimensioning a server?

Nate Duehr said on Tue, Nov 25, 2003 at 09:13:48AM -0700:
> Agreed on the "as fast a CPU as you can afford" and the 10K RPM disk
> comments.  However I'm not a huge fan of SATA yet.  There's been quite a
> bit of discussion on various mailing lists of people having trouble with
> them.  I'm old-school and would prefer the more expensive SCSI
> SCA-connector'ed disks in most of the servers I have spec'ed.

Which lists?  I've had a hell of a time with SCSI SCA connected disks; a single
bad SCSI disk can wipe out the whole chain, whereas with SATA that seems to be
less likely.  I'd be interested in hearing about SATA ickyness, though; from
what I've seen, it seems like a good thing.

> I tend to lean toward motherboards with a real serial port on them also,
> as you can configure a serial console to come up on one of them and use
> that from a laptop or what-have-you when you go to do maintenance
> instead of lugging a monitor/keyboard over to it.  But they're getting
> harder to find.

Not if you get a real server board; the newer Intel based ones have BIOS access
via the serial console.  :)