Re: Sugesstions building a rather big mail system.

Im building one for about 120,000 little university brats and their
teachers....

Ive already designed it and decided exactly that way... postfix, ldap,
courier, san, apache, squirrelmail.

BUT, we decided to split by "breed".

For example, we will use two Dual-P4Xeon 2Gb for the IMAP/POP, same for
the SMTP (same kind of server, but another two servers).

Then, the apache (which i am most afraid about) are the ones that spell
trouble BIGTIME. This is because php/sm will prove to be the most
resource intensive application in the farm (SMTP is simple, IMAP is
simple). So we give it three of the same boxen and its own dual pair of
LVS.

THen, the backend, this will be two failover enabled boxes with postgres
and openldap. They will be quad xeon 6GB ram.

All of that, goes to the SAN. The local storage in each server should
respond mostly to services cache necesities (a php cache for the apaches
perhaps).

Let me know what you guys think.... this whole farm is about twelve
servers, 4 LVS (a pair for IMAP and SMTP and its own pair for apache), 2
IMAP/POP, 2 SMTP, 3 APACHE, 2 (bigger) Backend -> SQL/LDAP and the SAN.