apt-get update failure???

We've a couple debian systems to patch for the new sshd problems.

On one of them that is monitored closely and patched quickly. The other is
patched less quickly.

The system that is patched less quickly claims to be up to date but nobody
remembers patching it. There are some wierd things about file sizes &
strings on the less closely monitored system. Are we missing something?

	apt-get update; apt-get upgrade;
	[snip]
	0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0  not upgraded.

I've looked (quickly) at the man pages, but am a bit short of sleep and
have probably missings some basic answers.

Where are the logs?

Is there a way to force a package update/re-install?

Further some important files have different sizes

# less closely monitored system
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root       230216 Oct 13  2002 /usr/bin/ssh

# more closely monitored system
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root       230248 Sep 16 22:07 /usr/bin/ssh

and different strings:

# less closely monitored
#strings /usr/bin/ssh | grep OpenSSH
 OpenSSH_3.4p1 Debian 1:3.4p1-4