Re: apt-get update failure???

On Friday 19 September 2003 14:04, Dan MacNeil wrote:
> We've a couple debian systems to patch for the new sshd problems.
>
> On one of them that is monitored closely and patched quickly. The other is
> patched less quickly.
>
> The system that is patched less quickly claims to be up to date but nobody
> remembers patching it. There are some wierd things about file sizes &
> strings on the less closely monitored system. Are we missing something?
>
> 	apt-get update; apt-get upgrade;
> 	[snip]
> 	0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0  not upgraded.
>

> I've looked (quickly) at the man pages, but am a bit short of sleep and
> have probably missings some basic answers.
>
> Where are the logs?
>
> Is there a way to force a package update/re-install?
>
> # both systems have sources.list as:
>
> deb http://debian.lcs.mit.edu/debian woody main contrib non-free
> deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian woody main contrib non-free
> deb http://security.debian.org/ woody/updates main contrib non-free
> deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US main contrib
> non-free

I'd try hashing out all except the security.debian.org lines ,

apt-get update ; apt-get install ssh

... and see what the outcome is.

Are there any proxy servers involved with your apt access? It may be that the
Release and Packages.gz is being cached from the older version.

Failing that, you can grab the package manually and "dpkg -i" it, although
this won't explain why you can't see the updates with apt-get. You might try
using one of the mirrors and see if you get different results.

As an aside, you can use the --resinstall option with apt-get to force it to
reinstall a package it already considers up-to-date.

re: logs - I'm not sure that apt-get actually does any logging, aptitude
writes a log file though.

GPG: http://n12turbo.com/tarragon/public.key