Re: Postfix + Quota (+ procmail?)

On Mon, Sep 08, 2003 at 08:05:31PM -0500, Chris Hilts wrote:
> > you can use spamassassin as either a content filter (e.g. with amavis), or
> > by calling it from an MDA such as procmail or maildrop.
>
> I'm currently calling spamassassin (spamd) via procmail after piping
> through amavis, because I want to use SQL prefs.  Do you know off hand if
> amavis can handle the SQL prefs, or do I need to keep things as they are?

i think it can, but i don't use it myself (i use my own little filter script)
so i'm not 100% sure.

the advantage of using an MDA is that you get greater per-user customisation
capability because by the time it gets to the MDA, the final recipient address
is known and that can be used as a lookup key into the SQL prefs.

this information isn't available earlier than that (although you can fake it by
using the recipient address...which mostly works but has a few problems, e.g.
with catch-all addresses or aliases, each one would need it's own custom config
even though they end up in the same mailbox.  this may be a feature or it may
be a bug depending on what you want :-)

OTOH, using spamassassin from an MDA only works for mail delivered to the local
system.  it does not work for in-transit mail (e.g. relayed, uucp, etc).  if you
need that, use SA as a content filter.

like i said, there are pros and cons to both.

craig