Re: Watchdog Program

On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 12:38:06PM +0200, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 05, 2003 at 08:05:53PM -0300,
>  Matias G. Lambert ( OSInet ) <matiaslambert@osinet.com.ar> wrote
>  a message of 36 lines which said:
>
> > take a look at http://www.nagios.org
>
> Why not mon, much simpler and which has a command-line interface?

Indeed.  And, if you're as paranoid as me: run two mon's.

One to be the 'real' mon, one to be the mon-monitor.  (ie, if the
machine running mon dies, the other machine will pick it up.)

My mon installation has a silly script that connects to a Portmaster2
with a modem and pages my numeric pager.

It has a nifty little table to convert "what broke" into numeric
codes...  ie, the first 3 digits are '555' so I don't accidentally
call the police...  then 3 digits for the host (usually derived from
the IP number, sometimes area code..), and 3 digits for 'type of
outage', usually devised from the port number.  So if I get a page of
'555250025', I know that SMTP is down on the main mail server.

A procmail trick mails my cell phone, since I was too lazy to set up
a seperate mail-alert for the phone.

This system has alerted me to every outage for the last 6 years and
lets me sleep at night (unless something breaks... but then I'm supposed
to be awake...)

--
  brian moore <bem@rom.org>    |    one ever played the song she knew.