Re: Watchdog Program

Hi,

> help. Is there a package that I can use to monitor a whole range of
> systems remotely? Any help appreciated.

you could try BigBrother (http://bb4.com/) or BigSister
(http://bigsister.graeff.com/home.html). I don't know BigSister that much but
basically it's a clone of BigBrother. BigBrother is just a set of shell
scripts that can monitor the various services running on the machines you
want to montor. It gives you a status output (http://bb4.com/bb/) of all the
machines and you can also get statistics. Also Alerting is possible via
various means.

Since it's a set of shell scripts it should be possible to monitor the
mailserver and trigger a modem dialing your mobild phone number in case the
mailserver goes down. Otherwise I think mail is the default method for
alerting.

I know of a small ISP and telephone provider that uses bb4 as the primary
alerting mechanism for the tech guys running independant of the larger setup
with HP OpenView (I think) at the nmc. Often bb4 is quicker :-)

Hope that was the answer to your question.

Regards,

Richard