Re: storage server howto?

On Fri, 2003-07-25 at 13:45, Dan MacNeil wrote:
> We want to create a debain based storage server and mount /var/www/
> /home and other directories from it onto other servers and workstations.
>
> Right now we're looking at smaba, autofs, amd, smbfs. We've heard bad
> things about NFS security, but maybe we haven't looked at it close enough.
>
> What is the best way to run a storage server and mount its shares on
> other machines?
>
> Has anyone else out there had any success in using autofs or amd
> in combination with smbmount to do this?
>
> Is autofs or amd even necessary (network mount can be added as type smbfs
> in fstab)?
>
> We've looked at:
>
> Automount mini-Howto
> http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/mini/Automount.html
>
> Autofs Automounter HOWTO
> http://www.linux-consulting.com/Amd_AutoFS/autofs-HOWTO.html
>
> Tried:
>
> modifying /etc/fstab to mount smbfs partition -- ran into the
> username/password and permissions issues below
>
> amd package -- seems to be oriented towards using NFS, but the
> autofs autmounter howto does mention samba towards the bottom of
> section 5.3
>
> Problems:
>
> smbmount requires username and password - this seems to be
> fixable by using a file containing credentials and making it
> viewable only by the owner
>
> permissions on mounted directory - did a sample mount and the
> file permissions for home directories ended up being 755 root
> root instead of 755 user group - perhaps this problem can be
> remedied by the machines sharing the same passwd and shadow files
> (in the long run LDAP will be used)
I use nfs samba and coda from 2 years maybe more and thing nfs3 is good
i have no problems with nfs3 but that depends from that for what you'll use
this server if you use this server for few users small things will be ok
of course on server under high load cpu/memory will be ok again but for
high network traffic you'll need fast hdd over 10k rpm striped raid 3ware
better network devices everything depends on that for what you'll use this server :)

--
Feci quod potui, faciant meliora potentes!