Re: storage server howto?

This is likely not the solution you are looking for, but it is the way I
mount smb shares on my linux workstations. I put the credentials in roots
directory, readable only by root. Then, in fstab, I give it the additional
parameters uid and gid. Following is one entry.

Works just fine. On bootup, I have the all of my shares available. I
actually mount public shares in /mnt/mainserver,then do a symlink to each
users home directories.

//tully/data /mnt/mainserver/data smbfs
gid=users,user,uid=rodo,credentials=/root/rodoserverlogin 0 0

The only problem with the above is that all files in the public shares are
"owned" by the one user. I did play some and tried to get it where it
would be owned by the individual user, but had problems doing that. I
think it could be accomplished with the .bash_profile in each users
directory, but since there are few users here and ownership was not that
much of an issue, I did not pursue it further.

For individual users private shares, I mount them into the users home
directory, using the gid and uid for that user.

//tully/rodo  /home/users/rodo/server  smbfs
user,credentials=/root/rodoserverlogin,gid=100,uid=1001  0  0