Re: Debian Co-location in USA

On Tue, Jul 15, 2003 at 01:27:04PM +1000, Jeremy Lunn wrote:
> One of my clients is looking into hosting a server in the USA, since it
> costs much less than doing it here in Australia.

For Debian, you have a few options.

I hear a lot of good things about Dream Host (
http://www.dreamhost.com ) and they're Debian-based.

You can also simply convert a Red Hat installation into a Debian
installation. It's a little nervous-making, but doable!

With most hosting providers, you can choose the partitioning scheme,
so just have a small partition prepared where you can untar an installed
system to, chroot to that and run lilo, then make it restart and
repurpose the other volumes as you please.

I have done this on a server where custom partitioning wasn't an
option as well. I simply used the swap partition. I converted the swap
to an ext2 filesystem, dropped in a tiny Debian install, restarted
with that as the new root and ran fsck from the small install to lay
things out the way I wanted on the rest of the drive. When I was done,
that tiny partition just became my swap again. :-)