mod_perl and mod_asp

Ok, this is likely a major stupid question.

I need mod_asp for my apache 1.3 server. I installed mod_perl and mod_asp
via dselect on my development server, but see no configuration changed in
httpd.conf. I see no sign that mod_perl or mod_asp were installed, and
have discovered no way to see what modules are loaded by an instance of
apache.

Is mod_perl loaded via some kind of pfm? I have rtfm'd, but haven't seen
anything on the mod_perl v1 being loaded as a module.

I basically have no clue what is going on here. Is it loaded? Is there a
way to verify it? Or, do I need to add a LoadModule mod_perl entry. I
tried that, but mod_perl was not found in mod_perl.so

Finally, is there any reason I should not build a mod_perl & mod_ssl
version of apache? I use ssl on some of my sites, and I write a lot of
perl cgi scripts. Currently, my production server has an apache-ssl and a
standard apache server running (two servers), and I need the ability to
run perl on both. I'm thinking I should have only one server, with the
ability to run ssl and perl. Suggestions?

Thanks

Rod

--
Dinosaurs aren't extinct.  They've just learned to hide in the trees.