Is sendmail trusted-user feature broken?

I'm using Debian sendmail distribution 8.12.3-6.4 and
I have apache running as user "apache" and group "apache".
I'm running a CGI program which calls sendmail using the
"-f" switch to set the sender's e-mail address (apache
is running a number of virtual servers, each with a
separate domain). The problem is that sendmail keeps
adding this warning to the mail message header:

The docs indicate that "apache" needs to be added as a "trusted
user", and so I added "apache" to /etc/mail/trusted-users; added
FEATURE(`use_ct_file')dnl to /etc/mail/sendmail.mc, did make,
and restarted sendmail. (For testing, I also did not include
authwarnings as one of the privacy flags.)

But still, this pesky X-Authentication-Warning will not go away!

I read that the trusted-user feature was entirely disabled
in sendmail versions 8.1 through 8.6, but then was revived.
Does that have anything to do with it?

| John Sigerson                                             |
| EIR News Service, Inc. E-mail: johnsig@larouchepub.com    |
| 60 Sycolin Road        Voice:  703-777-9451 x543          |
| Leesburg, VA 20175     Fax:    703-771-3099 or 771-9492   |