Re: Slow list.. why ?

On Fri, May 02, 2003 at 01:10:16PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> Maarten van der Hoef wrote:
> > Every day I see multiple replies with the same suggestions just because
> > the repliers weren't able to see the latest reply. As hardware costs about null
> > these days, I wouldn't know any  other bottleneck (bandwidth, nehh ).
> > So what's the problem with this list ?
> >
> > Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy with this list, just curious about it's
> > big latency.
>
> The latency on the debian lists is typically measured in minutes, but
> sometimes we get these big spikes.

What's really weird about debian list latency is that the mail server
itself doesn't seem sluggish; I'll wathc the logs and messages to the
list(s) are accepted in a reasonable period of time.  Messages to
"majordomo@lists.debian.org" (the "MajorSmart" thing) are turned
around in seconds even when I may not see my post to (say) debian-user
for several minutes.  It's very odd.

  Never tell people how to do things.  Tell them WHAT to do and
  they will surprise you with their ingenuity.
          -- Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.