Re: Slow list.. why ?

Maarten van der Hoef wrote:
> Every day I see multiple replies with the same suggestions just because
> the repliers weren't able to see the latest reply. As hardware costs about null
> these days, I wouldn't know any  other bottleneck (bandwidth, nehh ).
> So what's the problem with this list ?
>
> Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy with this list, just curious about it's
> big latency.

The latency on the debian lists is typically measured in minutes, but
sometimes we get these big spikes.

        by tiberium.cysonet.com (8.12.3/8.12.3/Debian-5) id h420YHQ2011225
        for debian-isp@lists.debian.org; Fri, 2 May 2003 02:34:17 +0200

There seems to be a bit more latency than usual today, though 17 minutes
is not exactly bad. http://murphy.debian.org/mrtg/ may be helpful in
diagnosing these things, though I am not adept at reading it.

But I don't think cutting mailing list latency will significantly help
multiple replies. Many users use POP or IMAP, and this just adds
latency, often on the order of half an hour or an hour or whatever the
pop/imap check interval is. I only sync mailboxes via IMAP once an hour,
I see one other reply to your message, but it's been 20 minutes already
since my last mailbox sync, and there could easily be more that say the
same thing I'm saying here. I generally figure that the advantage of
slightly different points of view is worth the disadvantage of multiple