Re: which dns server to use ?

On Tue, Apr 08, 2003 at 10:24:32PM +0200, Markus Welsch wrote:
> > I've been using djbdns for a few years now, and I'm not aware of any
> > interoperability/compatibility problems between it and BIND. I've been
> > perfectly happy with djbdns.
>
> Would you mind mentioning a bit about the extense of use like number of
> domains, etc and very interesting would also be the resource usage
> anything strange you have came accross so far, etc ...

I use tinydns for a company that serves over one billion web hits per
day (not visitors, hits, and no I'm not exaggerating). The authoritative
nameservers serve between 100 and 300 queries/sec on each of five
nameservers, for between 50 and 90 million queries answered per day.

I'd use tinydns first, then probably nsd, then something else before
BIND (maybe powerDNS). I know BIND better than most people, I did a
technical review for the "DNS & BIND Coobook" at the request of Cricket
Liu, and I still don't use it anywhere I'm not forced to.
--
Nate Campi    http://www.campin.net