Re: which dns server to use ?

8.x was/is a stable branch, but there were security issues. These are fixed, and reason to install BIND 8.x with care (like chrooting, see the Securing Debian Manual). There is quite a difference between unstable (is usually referred to as development status) and insecure.

Bind 9.x had some security issues though. See http://www.securityfocus.com/cgi-bin/sfonline/vulns.pl

But for Bind counts the same for all software: you've got to keep up to date with issues and fix/upgrade them when found. That software has never had any issues doesn't mean there won't be any in the future.

Well BIND is more like the standard DNS server. djbdns looks nice but I'm wondering about it's compability with BIND servers since the author is pretty much hostile to any other DNS servers.

I'm considering switching to djbdns on a TEST system since the DNS servers HAVE to be reliable ...