Re: Partitioning a Web Server

On Fri, 4 Apr 2003 06:52, Emile van Bergen wrote:
> Something just occurred to me. A lot of systems will have one (logical)
> disk, either physical or as a RAID-5 or RAID-1 set.
>
> Wouldn't it be nice if you could interleave multiple filesystems on the
> same block device? I.e. instead of giving one filesystem blocks 0

That will guarantee that every file larger than the chunk size is effectively
fragmented.  Not good for performance when you start copying those gigabyte
files around.

> That way, you can have multiple filestystems that are immune to each
> others corruptions, each with their own type or other properties, that

What do you mean by "immune to each others corruptions"?

> can share a single logical disk, without the seek penalty. Also, each fs
> can benefit equally from the higher troughput at the beginning of an
> oversized disk.

Best to just discover which file system needs the benefit most and put it at
the start.

> Does anybody know if this has been proposed before? It shouldn't be too
> hard to achieve on the md layer; instead of allowing just one md per
> group of disks, allow multiple striped md's per group of disks.

It should be easy enough to implement with LVM or EVMS.  Why not try it out
and see what happens?