Re: Partitioning a Web Server

Hi,

On Thu, Apr 03, 2003 at 04:20:49PM +1200, Jones, Steven wrote:

> I would strongly disagree, partitioning is very important. Logging should be
> separated out so that a full /var wont stop logging in.

Even with a full /, /usr and /var you can log in to a Debian system
IIRC.

Partitioning your data across disks is important, but IMHO partitioning
a single disk is useless. Enforcing quota by splitting a disk in two,
with all the seek time it wastes, is an unreasonably expensive way to do
it.

If your server has only a single disk, I say don't bother with
partitions other than swap. Having different filesystems with different
properties can be immensely useful, but then you should use multiple
disks.

Cheers,

Emile.

--