Re: Partitioning a Web Server

On Fri, 4 Apr 2003 07:00, Jones, Steven wrote:
> You cant normally boot off software raid if the primary disk fails on
> Intel.

Sure you can.  Modern BIOSs have options for booting from a secondary disk.
If you setup LILO correctly then the most you should have to do is
reconfigure the BIOS to use a different disk.

Also if you have hot-swap hardware (say an entry level Dell 1650 PowerEdge
server) then you can just unplug the failed disk and it'll boot from the
remaining disk.

One advantage of software RAID is the control you get over it.  With hardware
RAID you are often left wondering what the REAL status of your RAID device
is, sometimes the communications between the RAID hardware and the OS fails
and the OS thinks that it's all fine while it's really not (or the other way
around).  I've seen both on Solaris.

> Its quite possible to fill /var and lock a server up to the point access is
> not possible. Now I have to admit I have only seen this on Solaris, I

Solaris is buggy then.  Not a problem for Linux users.

> assume its just as possible on Linux.

Don't assume, do a test.  Bad assumptions are the cause of much lost time,
money, and data.