Re: Partitioning a Web Server

On Thu, 2003-04-03 at 11:24, Tomàs Núñez Lirola wrote:

> If you say partitioning wastes a lot of seek time (which I did not consider
> when I decided partitioning), I think I should evaluate if it's worth to
> waste this time for security or if (as it seems, and as you say) it's not.

I think considering the use you want to put this machine to, you can
safely ignore all performance issues and concentrate fully on safety and
usefulness. Not that this makes your decision easier :-)

My take so far has been to have /home, /var/log and /var (with
mailspool, database and other relatively volatile data) on partitions of
their own, everything else in the / partition.

/var/log mainly for the issue with filling up, /home and /var because
these partitions contain quite a bit data that is frequently modified.
It's a safety consideration, too: when the system crashes, there's only
a very small chance that something on / is being written, so that
partition is unlikely to be trashed. (Yes, mounting r/o would be better,
but see the other thread on this issue on debian-devel)

cheers
-- vbi

--
Available for key signing in Zürich and Basel, Switzerland
                     (what's this? Look at http://fortytwo.ch/gpg/intro)