Re: Mail Server Authentication

----- Original Message -----
From: <andrew@2sheds.de>
To: <debian-isp@lists.debian.org>
Cc: <andrew@2sheds.de>
Sent: Friday, February 28, 2003 10:03 PM
Subject: Mail Server Authentication

> Hi all,
> I am currently working on installing a new mail server for a small number
> users (50-100).
> I do NOT want the user account details stored in /etc/passwd, and shadow.
> I want to be able to have the following mail addresses as seperate
>    postmaster@domain1.com
>    postmaster@domain2.com
> etc...
> Using a database such as postgresql or mysql seems overkill for such a
> number of users. Only three users on this box need shell accounts.
> I also need support for 'SMTP Auth' (tls)
> After some investigation, it seems that the 'best'/ easiest solution is to
> Cyrus and Postfix.
> The issue seemed to be that everyone had there own authentication method,
> Cyrus provides both IMAP and POP3 saving me the trouble of installing yet
> program.
> So therefore I tried to get it all up and running using the SASLDB.
> Unfortunately there seems to be no STABLE version of cyrus-sasl.

http://people.debian.org/~hmh/ has a complete set of cyrus and postfix
packages backported from sid to woody. I use them on one of my personal
boxes, and they work just fine. It's a postfix + cyrus + jawmail + mysql +
spamassassin + amavis setup, also for a small amount of users. We also used
it at the ISP I work for for a small mailserver for one of our customers,
and it's also working ok.

Hope this helps,

Teun Vink